Diy Subwoofer Isolation Platforms

Blackrose666

Hi all, I think I need to build some isolation platforms for some sonosubs I picked up on here last year, I have wooden floors and there are a lot vibrations when I turn things up.

I have an MDF sheet I can cut up and use, what would be a good economical material to use for vibration absorption & isolation?

I went into Clark Rubber today and they suggested this product .

Would that be suitable for what I'm after?

Is there something else I should be looking at instead?

I have also seen the Whites anti-vibration products in Bunnings, would any of those be suitable?

Thanks for all advice you can give.

Cheers

I use a combo of Bamboo cutting boards and like @Blackrose666 Whites anti vibration blocks under those, the White's come in different densities, one type is more open cell with larger particles of rubber so lager air spaces between. Depending on the weight of what you are isolation one may be a better choice over the other and be slightly more effective.

I will even cut them down into smaller blocks to reduce area contact if it is appropriate.

As you can see here I used one of the larger cell blocks/pads cut into x8 under my monitors to isolate from the top plate of the stands.

20200215_204038.jpg.0bb12d747230edd1e236b9c1c5c4e3d2.jpg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-50-x-50-x-12mm-anti-vibration-squares-8-pack_p3961977

With a sub you could use the lager ones uncut, one in each corner, or even cut one block into x4 for each sub making them 5cm x 5cm.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, muon* said:

With a sub you could use the lager ones uncut, one in each corner, or even cut one block into x4 for each sub making them 5cm x 5cm.

Those lager ones make great coasters too  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Decky said:

You can a make a Subdude copy - very simple and very effective

https://auralex.com/subdude-ii/

A plank of wood and some closed cell foam 

Thanks,  something like that would work, I see the subdude has the foam underneath the board, I was thinking the other way foam on top as the sonosubs have an MDF base.

I assume I would need a high density foam?

4 hours ago, muon* said:

I use a combo of Bamboo cutting boards and like @Blackrose666 Whites anti vibration blocks under those, the White's come in different densities, one type is more open cell with larger particles of rubber so lager air spaces between. Depending on the weight of what you are isolation one may be a better choice over the other and be slightly more effective.

I will even cut them down into smaller blocks to reduce area contact if it is appropriate.

As you can see here I used one of the larger cell blocks/pads cut into x8 under my monitors to isolate from the top plate of the stands.

20200215_204038.jpg.0bb12d747230edd1e236b9c1c5c4e3d2.jpg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-50-x-50-x-12mm-anti-vibration-squares-8-pack_p3961977

Thanks, I have done similar with my surround speakers, cut down one the pads to make them smaller.

I would probably use the 100mm ones not cut down, four maybe five each sonosub, I was thinking just have the MDF base with the pads on top and place the sonosub on top of that.

I've attached a pic on the sonosub base.

Sonosub base.jpg

@Blackrose666 Maybe experiment with different woods if it interests and you have the time and inclination to, especially hard woods, you may find they can alter the tonality a bit from one to another, I find MDF to be a bit too dead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, muon* said:

@Blackrose666 Maybe experiment with different woods if it interests and you have the time and inclination to, especially hard woods, you may find they can alter the tonality a bit from one to another, I find MDF to be a bit too dead.

Thanks I'll look at trying some different woods when I  get a chance, got several other projects I need to get done after this lol.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Because I have an old house with 100 year old wooden floors it has forced me to play with all sorts of isolation and/ or coupling solutions over the years .......... had great success with a combo of Whites pads from Bunnings as noted here by many members, spikes and ACRYLIC...... acrylic is the final component that brings it all together and makes it sing...... I use this method on everything..... speakers, racks, CD, amps, DAC....   The improvement in sound quality across all aspects is quite remarkable.

For a sub, get 4 White pads .......    then get 4 acrylic squares laser cut to the same size ( 10 cm square and about 10 to 15mm thick  .........   or even better for a sub is just one piece of acrylic cut to the dimensions of your sub ..... the shiny black acrylic looks great )  then have a good look at the feet on your sub as you need to fix four conical spikes ( or even better 3 for max stability to the side of the sub's feet)   to the bottom of the sub so that they DIG /. REALLY BITE INTO the acrylic. Sometimes I place the spikes ( the wide cone-like ones with double sided tape ) in a different position than the feet. Please note that some subs , especially downward firing , have been tuned to the height of the existing feet so keep this in mind as you may have to pad out the conical spikes with thin ply/ cork/dense rubber etc.....combine different mediums to crush vibration wave travel.

Had I lot of fun and great success with DIY solutions..... you don't need to spend big money...... take yourself to Reverse Garbage at Marrickville and just wander through all the stuff that you can make work for almost nothing..... keeps ya'  busy!!!!!.

• Like 1