Catfish for a 120g cichlid tank?

BadGaskets

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
I just picked up a 120 gallon tank that will be set up for a few medium/large South and Central American cichlids. Tank is the 4ft x2ft x2ft style. Will have a large sump also.

Might have one Oscar and a couple other cichlids but I'm aware that I can't plop a dozen Oscar sized fish in a 120.

I really love catfish, and am looking for suggestions on a "catfish looking catfish", meaning something with the traditional catfish body style like you see on Pictus cats, blackfins, channel cats.

Pictus don't get big enough, blackfins prefer brackish, and channel cats are way too big.

My favorite would be a SA red tailed but obviously a terrible idea since they get even bigger than a channel cat.

Any other suggestions?

BadGaskets

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
You know I've seen the Ornatus pictus before. I've actually seen them mixed up with pictus cats before too. This could be a great idea.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
A search on here will produce many, many threads detailing the differences between South And Central American cichlids regarding water parameters and also incompatibility due to varying levels of aggression. There are several good reasons for not doing exactly what you are suggesting.

Putting those aside, I am sitting right here looking at a tank exactly the size and dimensions as yours; I'm envisioning an Oscar maybe a couple years old, already well over a foot long with plenty of growing still to do, crunched up in there...and then I'm trying to picture a couple more similar-sized fish in there with him...and a good-sized cat shoehorned in for good measure. Doesn't look good.

Any Oscar...not just world-record-sized specimens, but any average Oscar given decent food and care...will grow to a size that makes a 4-foot tank seem like a bathroom stall...and it will happen within a year or two. I wouldn't want to live in a bathroom stall, and certainly wouldn't want anybody else in there with me.

Sorry, I try to avoid these "what should I buy?" threads because they almost always head in this direction, and stating these simple facts almost always elicits a comment regarding the "tank police", but your thread title fooled me into thinking it was about a single medium-to-large catfish for that tank. So, I read it...and you asked for opinions...so there's my opinion. I think you need to do some research from multiple sources...people who have kept these types of fish long-term, not just some guy who bought a Petsmart Oscar 3 months ago and has now decided to write a "care sheet"...and then re-examine this plan. Good luck!

Reactions: LukeOscar

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I just picked up a 120 gallon tank that will be set up for a few medium/large South and Central American cichlids. Tank is the 4ft x2ft x2ft style. Will have a large sump also.

Might have one Oscar and a couple other cichlids but I'm aware that I can't plop a dozen Oscar sized fish in a 120.

I really love catfish, and am looking for suggestions on a "catfish looking catfish", meaning something with the traditional catfish body style like you see on Pictus cats, blackfins, channel cats.

Pictus don't get big enough, blackfins prefer brackish, and channel cats are way too big.

My favorite would be a SA red tailed but obviously a terrible idea since they get even bigger than a channel cat.

Any other suggestions?
If you like pictus, what about a slightly larger pim like an ornate or a blochi ( 4 line pictus)

RCDV

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2013
México
I love the albino nemurus catfish, not aggresive, they gey to 12" in aquarium. Raised for food in Asia and mislabeled in the fish trade as Albino Asian RTC. Here´s a pic of mine (not a good picture but it's kinda tricky to take pictures there)

IMG_0700.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store