A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W12 Rotors/Pads, Plugs/Coils, Coolant Tubes/Hose, G62 Temp Sensor, OH WHAT A DAY !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Great job. I lost one of those clips myself. I did buy an extra with the sensor but ended up using the original since the engine swallowed my new one.

Long nose pliers workd the second time around although mine is "only" a V8.

I suppose a rag or two stuffed down there to catch falling parts is what I will do if there is a next time.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ref : Audi A8 W12 - Coolant Temperature Sensor

Hello Johnny

Thanks for this post and for the pictures - in the 6 years I have owned my W12, the size and overall sight of the engine has always been overwhelming to me to say the least

The pictures look great but can you explain or point out where this Coolant Temperature Sensor is actually located.

Clearly, it sounds like the engine does not have to come out entirely (thank goodness) otherwise I would be absolutely cursing Audi engineers for the most awful of designs

I am aware that the A8 was not originally designed for this particular W12 engine and that the engineers really had a challenge on their hands to get this configuration sorted.

Any further help would be most welcome

And thank you for posting these pictures too

Nach

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Hello All,

I did it !!!!! 5 big grins, I am so happy and want to share this info for the G62 temp sensor on the W12.

And even though I am at a stand still as the dealer shorted me 1 spark plug, all boxes were there but 1 box was missing a plug,
I am replacing all 12 coils as they were only $17.25 each at Audi.

The sensor was a beast, my hand and arm are in pain, but it's in, and I did not lose one clip, I kept telling myself " I'm not gonna drop the clip over and over.....

Enjoy the pictures.

Johnny J J
Old 03-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pics

behind left head.

the engine does not get removed at all, just the intake in one piece as shown in my pics, as then it is just one reusable gasket, whereas if you split the intake you are looking at $300us plus in non reusable gaskets.
Attached Images   

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 03-09-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks Very Much

Johnny

Hello. Hope you are fine and keeping well ?

I just wanted to say a massive thank you for your help with the photos of the engine and how to go about changing this Coolant Temperature Sensor

I am pleased to report that my car is now in full working order and purring like a W12 engine should do.

It is such a relief that I did not have to have the engine removed.

My engine guru did say (as you did) that it was a really tough job but there was no way he wanted to remove the engine to change this sensor.

Very poor design from Audi A8 but thanks to you, hopefully other W12 owners won't ever have this stress

Thanks again :-)

Nach

some more,
Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nicely documented. The coolant temp sensor job reminds me of the 1.8t one in my wife's Passat. Buried in the back, up against the firewall. Not a fun job.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Banned

Thank You Nachvid
and you are welcome.
I hope others will benefit from this info, as I have read that some have actually had the dealer remove the engine for this repair, or at least the dealer charged for engine removal, which is just wrong and a waste or $$$$

Originally Posted by nachvid
Johnny

Hello. Hope you are fine and keeping well ?

I just wanted to say a massive thank you for your help with the photos of the engine and how to go about changing this Coolant Temperature Sensor

I am pleased to report that my car is now in full working order and purring like a W12 engine should do.

It is such a relief that I did not have to have the engine removed.

My engine guru did say (as you did) that it was a really tough job but there was no way he wanted to remove the engine to change this sensor.

Very poor design from Audi A8 but thanks to you, hopefully other W12 owners won't ever have this stress

Thanks again :-)

Nach
Old 03-17-2014, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A8 back in full working Order

Thanks Johnny

I can confirm that my car is back in full working order and purring away like a W12 should do :-)

My local mechanic found the pictures really useful - interestingly, when he spoke to my local Audi technicians about the work, they said the job could be done without removing the engine.

I have spoken to 5 different Audi dealers explaining to all of them that my vehicle is the W12 and they all quoted me between 1 and 25 hours to do this job. Only 1 of them stated that the engine would need to be removed. Confusing and irritating to say the least !

Let's just hope I don't have any other scares like this

Nach

Thank You Nachvid
and you are welcome.
I hope others will benefit from this info, as I have read that some have actually had the dealer remove the engine for this repair, or at least the dealer charged for engine removal, which is just wrong and a waste or $$$$
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Had my coolant sensor replaced. They put the engine on a support and didn't have to completely remove it. Cost me $1800. All for a $70 sensor.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank you very much for your post. i made it in about 2.5 hours

greets from bavarian
Old 07-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Banned

Great news, glad to be helpful !!

Johnny J Jiovino

Originally Posted by hogrodnixzutun
thank you very much for your post. i made it in about 2.5 hours

greets from bavarian

Quick Reply: W12 Rotors/Pads, Plugs/Coils, Coolant Tubes/Hose, G62 Temp Sensor, OH WHAT A DAY !!!!