Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Bad caps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Bad caps? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So, is this what it looks like when electrolytic capacitors die? I've always heard you guys talking about bad/leaky caps, but I'd never seen them first-hand.

The specimen in question here is a Lenovo desktop PC of summer '02 vintage - so just over 7 years old. For you techs, I have a couple of questions...

1) What causes this? Age? Heat? Cheap parts? Combination of all of the above?

2) In a PC motherboard, how will these failing caps affect the computer?

It's torn apart because I was looking to see what network chipset was in the machine to make sure the drivers were correct. The computer was blue-screening whenever anybody tried to access a Novell volume in a Save As dialog box. I tried just updating Novell and the network drivers, but Windows wouldn't update to SP3, either so I decided to nuke the install. It's just our audio box, so it only had a few apps on it.

Now, I've reinstalled, Windows is up to date, and so are all drivers. There's only one weird thing... If anything is tapping network resources, the mouse will hesitate/lock up momentarily. This occurs only sometimes, not all the time, and usually if there is any activity in the foreground, like an MSNBC page rendering in the browser or whatever. It happens in both IE and in Firefox, but not as bad in Firefox. Network driver? Bad caps?

I couldn't update the Nvidia driver beyond 2003 vintage, either... The nvidia installer won't install because it says there are no drivers for my hardware, even though I let it detect my video card and pick the driver install itself. I love how in Windows, there are different driver versions listed, depending on where you look - Display adapter properties, Nvidia control panel, Nvidia web site - with no way to correlate the three. Nice. Thanks, Nvidia.

Probably time to retire this machine, I suppose.

SC

BadCaps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.39 KB
 Viewed:  13799 Time(s)

BadCaps.jpg

View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change those caps!!! the Pc will be fine after. Very Happy

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Change those caps!!! the Pc will be fine after. Very Happy

But, is it really worth my time to find the values, order the caps, then desolder and resolder?!?!? How much would another motherboard be that I could swap into that case and just move everything over? $20?

I mean, this is a junk PC we're talking about, here... Not a projector or something I actually CARE about keeping out of the scrap heap. Wink

SC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, But i like to fix sh*t for fun Wink lol

yeah get a new mac Wink

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, those suckers are toasted. Yeah usually heat is what gets them. theyre rated for x number of hours at a given temp. As the temp. goes up beyond that they're life-span drops.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not worth fixing.

You can get a new mobo ram and cpu for $200. It's not a $40k CRT projector worth rescuing. It's time for recycling that PC.

Those are part of the motherboard power regulation circuits for the CPU. As they fail the CPU will see more of a ripple in the voltage.

I'd expect it to become unstable.

I have to admit, I haven't heard the name "Novell" since Windows 3.1..
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bad caps? Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
So, is this what it looks like when electrolytic capacitors die? I've always heard you guys talking about bad/leaky caps, but I'd never seen them first-hand.

The specimen in question here is a Lenovo desktop PC of summer '02 vintage - so just over 7 years old. For you techs, I have a couple of questions...

1) What causes this? Age? Heat? Cheap parts? Combination of all of the above?

2) In a PC motherboard, how will these failing caps affect the computer?

It's torn apart because I was looking to see what network chipset was in the machine to make sure the drivers were correct. The computer was blue-screening whenever anybody tried to access a Novell volume in a Save As dialog box. I tried just updating Novell and the network drivers, but Windows wouldn't update to SP3, either so I decided to nuke the install. It's just our audio box, so it only had a few apps on it.

Now, I've reinstalled, Windows is up to date, and so are all drivers. There's only one weird thing... If anything is tapping network resources, the mouse will hesitate/lock up momentarily. This occurs only sometimes, not all the time, and usually if there is any activity in the foreground, like an MSNBC page rendering in the browser or whatever. It happens in both IE and in Firefox, but not as bad in Firefox. Network driver? Bad caps?

I couldn't update the Nvidia driver beyond 2003 vintage, either... The nvidia installer won't install because it says there are no drivers for my hardware, even though I let it detect my video card and pick the driver install itself. I love how in Windows, there are different driver versions listed, depending on where you look - Display adapter properties, Nvidia control panel, Nvidia web site - with no way to correlate the three. Nice. Thanks, Nvidia.

Probably time to retire this machine, I suppose.

SC

I had a minor discussion on this somewhere on here not to long ago. This issue is widely, and I mean widely known on PC motherboards and was caused by millions of improperly manufactured caps that ended up in all sorts of electronic equipment.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bad caps? Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
I had a minor discussion on this somewhere on here not to long ago. This issue is widely, and I mean widely known on PC motherboards and was caused by millions of improperly manufactured caps that ended up in all sorts of electronic equipment.
do tell. Manufactured by who? Those looks like Pani caps in the picture crab posted?
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those caps did not fail. When they swell like that it's either reversed polarity or an over voltage problem. In the case of the circuit those caps are in, they are swelled from over voltage, which is more of a common problem on aged PC boards.

The surrounding caps are really HIGH temperature or HIGH frequency caps which are used in most high quality switching power supplies. So you'll not find "cheap" caps being used there. The high frequency would eat up low quality caps in that circuits in no time.

The cross lines are on the top of the cap to keep it from exploding when operated outside of its voltage range. When over operated, there will be a split where the lines are. Back in the day, the cap would explode under the same conditions.

Replacing the caps would produce the same results, because the problem is not the caps. The buck regulators are no longer regulating the safe voltage into the caps.

It's easier and cheaper to replace the mother board.
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may well be Mike.

But Mac is right. There was a big scandal about bad caps on mobos a few years back.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy some reading... Smile

This was posted by MikeEby in the other thread: http://news.cnet.com/PCs-plagued-by-bad-capacitors/2100-1041_3-5942647.html

Another site based on the original problem: http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=4
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys... I really like reading the opinions and all the supplemental material - thanks, Mac!

Obviously, these things see pretty high temps sitting right next to the CPU. It was a 24/7 machine most of the time, too - so I'm sure that didn't help in the longevity department.

I think I'll just shelve it, and pick up a newer used box for $150 or whatever. It's a royal pain in the ass to get purchase approvals this time of the year, but we've got some stuff sitting around I can ebay to get the funds for a newer machine. Anybody want a deal on an Exabyte DDS-1 tape drive w/auto-loader? Wink

SC
beun

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had this recently on my nieces computer, the caps looked exactly the same as on the photo above. Most were just bulging and one was leaking. I just replaced them with new caps of a higher voltage rating and everything was OK again. It took be barely 15min and maybe $10 in caps.

Mike,

The caps are bulging because of gas pressure buildup, this is either caused by reverse voltage, over voltage, over current, over heating, shoddy design or just plain aging. Replacing them should just fix the issue especially when you do it before anything else had the time to break.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Enjoy some reading... Smile
This was posted by MikeEby in the other thread: http://news.cnet.com/PCs-plagued-by-bad-capacitors/2100-1041_3-5942647.html
Another site based on the original problem: http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=4

WOW, industrual espionage, millions of bad parts installed in PC's. This sounds like a movie?
Shocked
Quote:
How did this happen?
The reason this problem exists is because of a large-scale industrial espionage foul-up. Some companies decided to steal an electrolyte formula from another competitor. Little be known to them, the stolen formula was incomplete and flawed. They didn't discover this until it was too late and they had manufactured and distributed literally MILLIONS of these flawed capacitors. It was way too late for any kind of recall, and even today, these crappy components are being used in new boards. As I mentioned before, I believe this problem runs much deeper than simply an industrial espionage screw-up, as that incident was exposed years ago, and the problem still exists today. Nowadays, it just boils down to corporate bean counters cutting corners to save money by using shoddy components.

NOOOO, say it isn't so, Not Nichikon. I thogut they were the holy grail of capacitors?
Quote:
Only HP would identify the maker of its faulty capacitors: Nichicon, of Kyoto, Japan.
A spokesman at Nichicon's North American offices in Schaumburg, Ill., declined to comment. Repeated phone and e-mail requests for comment from the main office in Kyoto were not returned.
Nichicon, which has been in the business of making capacitors for 50 years, has a strong track record, and the majority of Nichicon's products have no problems at all, HP representatives and enthusiast sites said.

Quote:
Experts say that if capacitors are not made right, they start to deteriorate after three or four years, rather than lasting the expected seven years. Underpowered power sources, excessive heat from the computer or outside temperatures, and putting extra strain or overclocking the processor are other causes for premature capacitor failure. Dell does not have a long history of PCs with capacitor problems.
hmmm, 7 years? The average CRT projector is now 10 to 12 years old. Thanks a lot Steve, I feel another raging argument coming on. Laughing
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its true, all the power supplies in the iMac G5's have a bunch of bad caps that apple found out after they built all the computers, up untill last summer they would replace the power supply for free but the new supply also had the same bad caps. Jim Waraholic http://jimwarholic.com/labels/iMac_G5.php he has kits for replacement caps. I knew of the issue I just ddint know about the espionage thing!! but I think the apple caps were not Nichicons.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had to post this pic. Was up late last night working on a Marquee convergence board. It's been stated by some people that "Marquee's can run forever practically and that most of the EL caps will be fine, No need to worry".
This is a sample of what I pulled last night. I'll say it again, these things are not designed to last 15 years

IMG_0965.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.3 KB
 Viewed:  13590 Time(s)

IMG_0965.JPG

Last edited by draganm on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
had to post this pic. Was up late last night working on a Marquee convergence board. It's been stated by some people that Marquee's can run forever practically and that most of the EL caps will be fine. No need to worry. This is a sample of what I pulled last night. I'll say it again, these things are not designed to last 15 years

Ewwww, Even on my 4 older Marquee's i have not found caps like that !! Ewwwww !! I guess I have been lucky so far.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, dragan - those are nasty. Thanks for posting. Was the machine that convergence board came from still functioning properly? Any idea what the chassis manufacture date was?

SC
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the board is a 1997, so like me, it's "middle aged" by Marquee standards. No idea how many chassis hours but I don't think that matters all that much, this is just a result of being 12 years old. I should save this thread so next time someone asks "why is my convergence drifting?" I can just link to it.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1997, eh? Coincidentally, the same year my G70 was manufactured, IIRC. Next time I'm digging around in there, I'll have to pull the convergence board and see how the caps look. Getting old sucks. Wink

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: