(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2005/0128689 Al
Caci et al. (43) Pub. Date: Jun. 16,2005
(54) SELF-SUSTAINING ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL UNIT
(75) Inventors: J. Claude Caci, Owego, NY (US);
David L. Vos, Apalachin, NY (US)
Randy J. Pritzker
Wolf, Greenfield & Sacks, P.C.
600 Atlantic Avenue
Boston, MA 02210-2206 (US)
(73) Assignee: Lockheed Martin Corporation,
(21) Appl. No.: 11/034,524
(22) Filed: Jan. 12, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 10/340,475, filed on Jan. 10, 2003.
A method and apparatus for housing an electronic device are provided. The apparatus includes an environmentally sealed chamber to protect the electronic device from harsh environments. The environmental conditions of the chamber are controllable using environmental controls which are controlled by digital processor with a stored program coupled with sensors. The digital processor may also control the application of power from an external interface. The apparatus also includes a self-contained power source running from a primary fuel. A control system is provided for managing power production and energy storage to maintain continuity of environmental conditions.